Translate

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Review: Bound by MJ Stevens


I just read Bound by MJ Stevens and I have to say that I was fairly pleased. You are definitely able to tell that the editing should have been worked on, but a good book besides that. I read Bound on a two-hour car ride, so it's also not very long.
I liked the way that the story had a background dealing with magic but it was pushed back so as not to overwhelm the actual story. Magic was barely mentioned until the second half of the book.
It was a bit hard for me to get into the characters as their names were a bit farfetched. I mean, I'm all for unique names, but there's a point when even I would cross the line. This isn't necessarily bad, just, some of the spellings were weird and unpronounceable. I actually caught myself calling the same character multiple names throughout the book.
Bound gave me a bit of a Selection feel. The girl was taken against her will to possibly marry a prince. Girl hates guy. Ends up becoming friends. And so on and so forth.
Also, I wasn't completely sure whether or not the book was set in a Dystopian society, another world, another dimension, or what. At times it felt old-fashioned and at others it felt very Sci-Fi.
Overall, this was a decent book and I'll definitely pick up the second one if I ever don't have a book.

Recommended for: Ages 12+
Rating: 3 1/2 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment